Diet plays a vital role in the treatment of patients. Proper diet is the key to good health and vigor. Inadequate and improper diets are not only responsible for undernutrition but also contribute to several chronic degenerative diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and cancer.
The Dietary department which consists of Dieticians has got a role in the decision-making system for patients care. Dieticians not only cater to the patient’s food requirement, but they are responsible for planning, prescribing and counseling patients about their diet according to their diseased conditions.
- To maintain good nutritional status of all patients.
- To educate patients about how diet plays a major role in the treatment of various diseases.
- To modify the daily diet pattern of patients to meet their requirement during various diseased condition.
- To correct deficiencies especially in patients with prolonged hospital stay like cancer patients and critical care unit patients.
- Diet therapy in most instances is not a remedy in itself but is a measure which supplements or makes the medical or surgical treatment more effective.
Types of diet provided to the patients:
The various types of diet being provided are:
- Regular Normal diet
- Soft diet
- Clear Liquid diet
- Full Liquid diet
- Ryle’s tube feeds
- Jejunostomy feeds
- Diabetic diet
- Renal Diet
- High Protein diet.
- Salt-free diet.